Transition Goals, Plans & Success
TGPS is for Sailors and family members to be substantially better prepared for civilian life. Service members depart the military “career ready” and with strategies that augment the job search process in today’s market. Information on Veterans Benefits and resources are identified and reviewed.
Transition GPS workshops are required for every service member separating from the military. Transition GPS workshops are scheduled through your Command Career Counselor and your command, orders are required. NRSW TGPS Schedules are available in the downloads.
Requirements concerning Pre-Separation Counseling::
- Pre-Separation Counseling is initiated through with your Command Career Counselor (CCC) or Command Transition Officer (CTO) 24-18 months remaining before retirement; 18-12 months prior to separation; and not less than 90 days remaining on Active Duty whether retiring or separating pursuant to 10 U.S.C. 1142.
- Service members must complete and bring the following documents to the first day of the TGPS Workshop:
- Pre-Separation Counseling Checklist, DD Form 2648 for Active Duty Personnel, or a DD Form 2648-1 for Reserve Personnel
- Copy of VA E, Benefits Registration
- Individual Transition Plan (ITP) Checklist, DD Form 2958 with ITP Block 1 completed
- Verification of Military Education and Training (VMET)
- Recent Leave and Earning Statement
- EVAL or FITREP - whichever applies
- Recent Credit Report
- Joint Service Transcript (JST) - previously known as SMART Transcript.
- Results of O*NET Interest Profiler
Contact your CCC or CTO to schedule your counseling session, complete pre-requisite work, and schedule your Transition GPS Workshops - Please Note:
- Service members must contact their Command Career Counselor (CCC) to obtain a Transition GPS quota. The CCC then contacts the Transition GPS Coordinator on their member’s behalf to schedule a TGPS class.
- CCC’s can obtain a quota by contacting the TGPS Coordinator by phone 619-767-1736, or email FFSCTGPS@navy.mil.
- A confirmation number and welcome package will be emailed to the CCC for each service member.
- Students wishing to cancel a quota should contact their CCC immediately.
Fleet & Family Support Center
- Interested in advancing or changing your career visit O*NET
- Looking for Job Fairs and/or other employment placement opportunities visit: "Hiring our Heroes"
- The American Job Center
- VA Employment Center
- For Relocation Information visit "Plan My Move"