VADM Martin Pool (NASNI)
Swimmers of all ages are welcome for year-round swimming, conditioning, lessons and recreational swim. This beautiful, outdoor pool is 50-meters by 25-yards with a graduated depth from 3.6 to 7 feet. Lanes are available for daily lap swim, as well as a shallow end for aquatic play and refreshment. Once out of the pool, soak up the sun in one of our many poolside chase lounge chairs or relax at a table under a wide shade umbrella. Lap swim and fitness classes are open to all active duty, reservists, retirees, dependents, DoD civilians, civilian contractors and guests (where authorized). Fee may apply during recreational swim hours and classes.
Children, 16 years and under, must be accompanied by, and under the direct supervision of, an individual who is a minimum of 17 years. Children, 10-16 years, must pass a swim-test to use the facilities.
Junior Swim License
A Junior Swim License is available to youth, 16 years and under. The license allows youth to be in the pool without having an adult within arm’s reach. A parent/legal guardian must remain inside the pool gates throughout the child’s stay at the facility.
Steps to Receive a Junior Swim License
- Parent/legal guardian completes a license application.
- Youth successfully completes a swim test with the lifeguard.
- Junior Swim License is received, along with a disposable wristband.
- Show license each visit to receive a wristband for the day. If license is not brought each visit, youth must retake the swim test.
Swim Test Standards:
- Once swimmer enters the water, holding the wall or lane line is not allowed until the completion of the test.
- Swimmer must jump into the deep end of the pool, fully submerge, return to the surface and immediately begin treading water keeping their head (chin, mouth and nose) above the water for 60 seconds.
- Then swimmer must begin swimming a 25-meter front crawl without pausing, touching or pushing off the wall. Head must be in the water, breathing to the front or side, and arms must exit the water with full extension on each stroke.
- After completing the 25-meter swim, the swimmer must exit the pool without assistance, using the wall or pool ladder.
FREE Active Duty Swim Lessons
Monday/Wednesday/Friday, 5:30-8:30 am
Lessons for beginning, intermediate and advanced swimmers to achieve their personal aquatic goals from basic swim skills to challenging workouts.
Masters Swim Practice
Monday-Friday, 12-1 pm, FREE
Looking for a fun yet challenging workout? We have the answer. Join us!
Saturdays (4-week sessions starting in May)
Affordable, private and semi-private lessons are available for all ages. Call 619-545-2877 to get started this weekend!
Download a REGISTRATION FORM from the gold bar at the right.
American Red Cross certified instructors offer the “Learn To Swim Program” (LTS) for swim levels 1-6, pre-school and adult at the VADM Martin Pool.
- Private Swim Lessons
$150 per 4-class session or $75 per 2-class session
- Group Lessons
$20 for initial lesson and $55 for the 3 subsequent lessons
- Class Dates Available:
July 13-August 3
December Dates TBA
1:30-2 pm LTS Level 5-6
2-2:30 pm LTS Level 4-5
2:30-3 pm LTS Level 3-2
3-3:30 pm LTS Level 2-1
3:30-4 pm Preschool Aquatics Level 1-3
Navy Fitness Drowning Prevention Campaign
Through SPLASH, Navy Fitness strives to educate parents and youth on pool safety and the dangers associated with unsupervised swimming.
Keep Your Child Safe at the Aquatics Facility with Six Key Tips:
Stay within arm’s reach. Drownings can occur quickly and quietly, and in as little as 1 inch of water.
Protect your non-swimmers. Water wings and other inflatable floats are not allowed in Navy MWR Aquatics facilities.
Learn to swim. Navy MWR offers swim lessons for all ages.
Assess swim skills. Lifeguards are available to provide the official Navy Swim Test.
Swim safely. Youth non-swimmers and swimmers must remain in their designated areas at all times.
Hang it up. No tweet, status update text, or phone call is worth risking a child’s life.
Make a SPLASH in swim safety!